Monday

A Vista In Your Future


Is there a new Vista in your future? Unless you are an Apple or Linux user, the answer is most likely 'Yes'. The real question is 'Should I run out and get Vista today?' And that is a much easier question to answer.

If you are planning on purchasing a new PC, Vista from Microsoft will be included with most retail systems sold. But there is no compelling reason to upgrade to Vista anytime soon if your system works well under Windows XP.

Manufacturers and software publishers will attempt to persuade you to upgrade your operating system and hence, their new application software versions, memory upgrades, video card upgrades, et cetera. And if you haven't upgraded your system in the past five years, that may be a good idea, economics notwithstanding.

If you are at home browsing the internet and sending e-mail back and forth, stay where you are. If you bring work home from the office and open word processing software and spreadsheets, then just keep doing it.

Unlike the jump from Windows 98/ME to XP, Vista is designed for more media-related activities (i.e.: music and video files). Not everyone I know is frustrated because their PC won't 'talk' to their home stereo system. I recently bought an adapter that allows me to hook my MP3 player to my home stereo system...total cost: $4.95 (USD).

My Treo smartphone already has Bluetooth and talks to my PC via a Bluetooth dongle on notebook and desktop units. My wireless network works just fine on Windows XP, and streaming video and audio from one to another is smooth, not choppy on 802.11(g), and is encrypted.

The idea of getting excited about a new operating system is yesterday's news. All I really want to do is connect to the internet and use internet-based applications. My Treo handles word processing, spreadsheets, calendars, and e-mail. It plays MP3s and connects to high-speed internet. And all of this on a Palm OS.

But, like many others, when I am ready for a new PC, I will be getting one with Vista onboard. Until that day arrives, I will be plugging along with XP on my PCs.